The Necessary Hierarchy of Love

the other day i posted on the necessary hatred of sin, and what i believe that needs to look like in my/our life as the people of Christ.  today, i want to share where i believe that comes from, and what it leads to....love.  life transforming, earth shattering love.

here we go:

1.  First, I must love God.  (Deuteronomy 6:5)
2.  Second, I must love my wife.  (Ephesians 5:28-33)
3.  Third, I must love the body of Christ.  (1 Peter 3:8-9)
4.  Fourth, I must love the world.  (John 3:16)

Why?

1.  I have to love God, the true God, in order to even know what love is.  God is love, and if I don't love Him, the creator of everything, how can I begin to love my wife properly?
2.  I have to love my wife...AS CHRIST LOVED THE CHURCH.  Sacrificially, with endurance, joy, and service.  If I don't love the person closest to me on this planet in such a way, how can I love anyone outside of my marriage?
3.  I must love the body of Christ, because it's what I'm called to do.  I don't always feel like it, and sometimes I hate it, because a lot of Christians make me mad.  BUT, they are the body of Christ as much as I am.  Christ loves me relentlessly.  I must do the same.  If I can't love my brothers and sisters, how can I bring anyone home to meet my "family"?
4.  I must love the world because God so loved the world to give His ONLY son.  And to bring it back to #1, if I love Him with all of my heard, soul, mind and strength......won't I love what He loves, and hate only what He hates?

Why am I not in that line up?  I'm a human being, so loving myself is natural and not something I have to work on.  Even when I'm depressed, I naturally value me over everything on the above list.  I'm trying to honor God by loving what He is making to be.....by loving the things I just wrote about.

Just something to chew on.  Would love to hear your thoughts.

In His love,
brad

No comments:

Post a Comment

relevant
relevantfacebook
Facebook